Industrial Tourism Attractions

Industrial Tourism Attractions in Hungary

The Nine-Arch Bridge over Tisza, Hortobagy

The bridge is the most identifiable symbol of the Hortobagy National Park, Hungary's great plain. It was built between 1827 and 1833 in a Classical style, replacing a wooden structure from 1697. It is the longest road stone bridge in Hungary prior to 1921. The distance between the two abutments standing on either side of the river is 92.13 meters, while the entire length of the stone bridge measures 167.3 meters.

Karcag Windmill

Built in 1858, it is ranked among the most significant heritage sites in the country. The four-story brick structure was built with a turning roof structure and four blades. In 1949, a hammer grinder was installed on its ground level. The former huge wheels and stones were preserved. There were 60 mills operating in the city, eleven of which were windmills. Today this is the only one remaining here.
In Balástya, Kaszárnya, Kaszárnya, Kecskemét, Kiskundorozsma, Kiskunfélegyháza, Kiskunhalas, Kunhegyes, Hodmezovasarhely, Ópusztaszer, Tes there are other remarkable windmills, many of them in function and/or museums.

Kotsy Watermill, Zalaszántó

Was the property of Nándor Kotsy during the 20th century, hence its name. It was rebuilt in the early 1950s. For a short while, the grinder was first driven by a single overshot water wheel, then it was converted to an engine drive, and later it was electrically driven. In 1960, even the grinding ceased. In January 2000, the Directorate of the Balaton Uplands National Park purchased the neglected building from Nándor Kotsy, and in 2003, within the frame of a Hungarian-Swiss co-operation, restored the mill to be presented to the public.

The Ráckeve Ship Mill

Was the last one in Hungary. This mill unfortunately sank during the winter of 1968. A part of the original structure was recovered and transported to the Open Air Museum in Szentendre. In 2006, the Municipality of Ráckeve initiated the reconstruction of the boat mill as a tourism-related facility connected to the city's history. Presently, the demonstrative grinding process is powered by an electric motor. At this type of mill, the drive (waterwheel) is built on a floating platform and its first recorded use dates back to the mid 6th century AD in Italy. Such mills were used until the beginning of the 20th century on most major lower rivers in Europe (over a thousand only on the Danube).

CET Mixed Use Complex Budapest

In 1881, four warehouses were built in the center of the city on the Pest side, opposite to the central market hall. These public warehouses were damaged during World War II, and their functions declined progressively afterwards. In 2007, an all-glass, whale-shaped structure was envisioned to be set between the original buildings for shops, restaurants, event halls. CET, which means "e;whale"e; in Hungarian, also stands for Central European Time, giving the project a European dimension. The space toward the river was opened and gives the whale-shape a direct relationship with the water. The building opened its doors in the beginning of 2013.